Thursday, August 28, 2008

History in the Making: Wishing I Were in Denver



Today I wished I were in Denver for the first time since the National Convention began. Mostly I have been both amused and swamped with the goings on of my new job. I've been so busy, I haven't had too much of a chance to even watch the convention. And today was no different. I left 4 hours later than my contracted hours and had to haul ass to Tae Kwon Do where I received my new belt. Ms. P reminded me that there is only one belt left before I try for my first black belt. It was an awesome moment and then to celebrate, I took myself out to dinner and watched Barack Obama graciously accept the democratic nomination on this the 45th anniversary of King's I have a dream speech. Watching Obama speak, I realized the difference between a dream and a vision. Dreams can fade, but when you focus your consciousness on bringing a vision to life, it has no choice but to manifest.

His speech was like every other speech he has given, charismatic, hopeful and a reiteration of the democratic party platform which seeks to end the war, end our dependency on foreign oil, green up the nation while improving health care, schools, and the economy. But adding to the brilliance of such a historic moment was the way that Barack talked about America. He didn't talk about a nameless, faceless, amorphous America, but rather gave voice to the experiences of so many of us that he has met and reach out to along this journey. He told our stories. He told our truths and reclaimed patriotism for all Americans not just pledge saying "God-fearing" fundamentalist republicans. I felt so proud to watch him do his thing. And though I recognize the responsibility we all have to really ensure that his presidency is a productive one, I am excited to be a part of the redefinition of this country. I am thrilled that even though we are far from perfect, this country, my country, has experienced enough of a culture shift to nominate (and hopefully elect) Barack Obama for president. This is HUGE.

Meanwhile today at work was a day of unexpected explosions. I love being new. Newness brings with it the freedom of not having to take sides, the freedom to ask the questions everyone else is to afraid to ask, and the freedom to view emotionally volatile situations with the lack of personal investment of an outsider. Today after several meetings, and a lot of playing hide and seek with the emergency preparedness supplies (which are in boxes all over the school), an emergency meeting was called. Teachers were furious because the administration made a decision regarding recess without discussing it with them. It was all very fascinating, especially after a kumbaya day of diversity and faculty/staff bonding to see everything go to shit over something so arbitrary. People were literally in tears and I was glad to be new enough to be able to claim neutrality. You just never know what kind of minefields you're walking through until the explosions begin.

As we sat around in a circle in the fourth grade classroom, each person talking about the issues, I realized that regardless of whatever decision was made, somebody was getting screwed. I can barely imagine being my principal, imagine being Barack. Imagine the challenge he faces in unifying a nation and leading us into a hopefully better stage of our history. If my head of school can't come up with a solution to satisfy and meet the needs of 30 teachers and staff how can Barack be expected to come up with a plan that will accommodate the personal wants and needs of entire country of totally and completely different people. I wish him luck and pray for the best.

No comments: