Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tacoma: Where cupcakes are $1 cheaper


Week one of my staycation has been pretty frickin fabulous even with a cold. On Monday, I did nothing and it was everything I thought it could be, calming, relaxing...I thoroughly enjoyed it. Tuesday I got more ambitious though and started running errands and what not. I also had to go to Tae Kwon Do, as my belt ceremony is getting closer. It kind of sucked being sick and doing Tae Kwon Do. It was kind of like doing water ballet because I was seriously moving in slow motion, but my technique was good. On Wednesday my computer was unhappy (she needs to go to the Dr) so I had to pay a sneaky visit to my old office, but I wasn't there long enough to feel icky. I caught a bus straight to Tacoma to visit my lovely friend Greta and her beautiful daughter.

I always forget about Tacoma. I mean, I know it's there and easily accessible, but it never occurs to me to go there just because...not like Vancouver or Portland, but I think I have been corrupted by snobby Seattlelites cause it was actually really fabulous. There is a glass museum and parasailing, a little rocky beach and a nice park by the water...all of which I think I need to check into more thoroughly. I wonder if Tacoma has a poetry slam.

Greta scooped me up from the bus stop and took me for a decadent lunch at Indochine...which had a gorgeous interior design scheme....it's very Japanese feeling...simple lines, elegant carved wooded benches, accented with peach sheer curtains. In the center is a lovely pond tiled in iridescent multi-colored tiles. And the food was on point. After catching up and the main course, she took me to a little cupcake place very similar to the one across from my Tae Kwon Do dojang and I was shocked to see that cupcakes literally are $1 cheaper in Tacoma. Who knew?! Then we went for a walk and I was reminded once more about how timeless some friendships can be.

This has been a great week of reflection for me, a time to take stock in all the things that have manifested for me and to chill out with my everyday people and the people who, while not everyday, are always there for me. I am truly blessed with some very amazing people in my life. Thanks community, you rock!

No comments: