Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My letter to Essence

Essence is allegedly a magazine where “black women come first”. My Grandmother gave me a subscription for Christmas and I have been reading you cover to cover since then. While for the most part I respect what you have to offer, I find myself uncomfortable with the contradictions in your messaging. I’ll read an article in one issue that talks about finding joy or being healthy and happy at any size or embracing your blackness, just to turn the page and see an ad for relaxer or diet pills. How can you be happy just as you are while simultaneously reaching for the miracle drug to make you thinner or the lye to make your hair lay down like a white woman’s hair does naturally?

I realize that a magazine is a business and that you have to sell ads, but I just find it inconsistent. For example, how is it possible in 2008 for me to check out 100 + sexy hairstyles for black women and see almost no natural hairdos. I don’t count the bleached and dyed red dreadlocks or pretend afros that have clearly been texturized. What are you saying? Does a black woman have to have straightened hair and a perfectly made up face to be beautiful? I am not Beyonce. I am not a chocolate Barbie doll and have no desire to undermine the beauty God gave me to emulate white standards.

Essence, I am challenging you to push your boundaries and really think about what you’re selling. I checked out the swimsuit section with plus sized models and thought it was very size positive and forward thinking. I would like to see a continuation of that line of thought on hair, where reality is valued and represented. I want to see some glamorous natural beauty. Thanks

No comments: