Friday, November 14, 2008

The Poetree

Next week is Literature Week at my school, so in preparation, the children have been writing amazing poetry....I mean absolutely fabulous. It has really inspired me. In our hallway hangs a magically creation called the Poetree where works from all grade, staff, parents, and faculty are displayed. I put up a few haiku. Lately I have not been writing that much poetry and it has been ages since I last slammed. I don't know, I guess it's like to being able to rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time, though I am usually proficient in multi-tasking, I find it hard to paint and write. I tend to do one or the other, and lately it's been painting. But I do miss the slam, and oddly enough I will be slamming on Monday at our all school assembly. Don't know what I'm going to read yet. Most of my poems are a little above the comprehension level or Kindergartners (at least I hope so :)), but here is a practice poem I wrote: inspired by the jar that lives by the copier.



The Poison Candy corn of Death


It sits
and lurks, and
calls my name, til
I must gorge and feel
ashamed, cause no amount
of pistachio nuts will rev me
up the same. I want sugar shaped
like traffic cones, so sweet I feel
it in my bones. Then I get jittery
and freak out, I twitch and pulse and
scream and shout, yes we all know what
its about, the candy corn of death. Oh but
how I love the autumn frosting on my tongue
that tells me halloween has come, and
poisoned me with the need to fill my belly
with the super sweet eat.
I love the candy corn of death

No comments: