Saturday, November 20, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

The character flaw I can most readily admit to is that I am a book-aholic and YA fiction is my vice of choice. If I have a shitty day, I don't reach for a bottle. I don't search for drugs. I buy myself a vanilla vanilla cupcake and go spend some time is the most conveniently located bookstore. Libraries are okay, but really I would rather just buy a book because 1: then not everyone is touching (read sneezing on or in general contaminating my book) and 2: if I fall in love with it I can read it until the pages start falling out.

"How many times are you going to read Harry Potter 7?" was a familiar refrain during my time living with Mz. Blu. "Until it stops being good," I'd answer. But it never stops being good. I think reading a book once is like buying a CD you like and listening to it only once. Why? Sure you know what it's going to sound like, you know the ending, but that doesn't mean you won't get something new out of it. Though there is a certain pleasure in reading a book for the first time, not knowing where the story is going to go. It's like a first kiss, unexpected, uncharted territory.

Having finished the majority of my travel collection...meaning the 10 books I brought with me from my last trip to Powell's, I found myself back at the bookstore. I was looking for something by K.L. Going who wrote Fat Kid Rules the World (if you haven't read it, you should), but ended up stumbling across Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (author of Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, and Paper Towns-three geniusly crafted YA books) and David Levithan (co-author of equally brilliant Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and Ely and Naomi's No Kiss List and also author of several books I haven't gotten to yet and will clearly be buying next week).

Set in two suburbs of Chicago, Naperville and Evanston, the book is written in alternating chapters, narrated by two characters both named Will Grayson. One Will is gay. One Will is straight. And both Wills have issues with love and life and the whole caboodle. Straight Will is best friends with the real show stopping character of the book, Tiny Cooper, the 300lb gay football player/ writer, director, star actor, and producer of his own GSA sponsored musical Tiny Dancer. Through a series of hilariously and harsh circumstances that I won't spoil, the two Will Graysons and Tiny Cooper converge in a kick ass story of love, heartbreak, friendship, and randomness. In short, this book rocked my world. Okay, more than that, this book reminded me of what books should be like.

As I am slogging my way through draft 8 of my own first novel and wondering 1: Am I ever going to find an agent and 2:Is the book ever going to be all the way done and 3: when it's done is the book ever going to be good??? Will Grayson, Will Grayson, in addition to just being a fabulous read reminded me that what makes a book great is one's ability to connect with it and to get something out of it. The characters are so relate-able and Tiny's musical should be a real musical. I would definitely pay money to see it on stage. But more than just being entertaining, it is those brief moments of truth hidden in the jokes that make the book worth reading. I never know how to review a book without giving away too much, so I will shut up now and just say thanks John and David. You inspire me! Just wish Jodi Reamer would fall in love with my book too...maybe next week.

No comments: