Thursday, September 2, 2010

Temporada de Rebajas: La Moda Madrileña


Estoy enamorandome de Madrid. I'm falling in love with Madrid. I honestly don't remember it being this cool. I don't know if it's because 10 years ago, I was so beach crazy and so in love with Cadiz, then subsequently over the moon about Barcelona that I missed the obvious, but I get it now: Madrid is fantastic. There are so many museums and cultural sights, but also great bars and clubs, and live music. This weekend Dr. Bea is headed to Granada for a wedding, so I will be hanging out with her cousin Edu who has a rock band. I'm exited to explore a new music scene and of course... though maybe not this weekend, I've got to check out the salsa scene.

After my most recent travels, it is simply lovely to be able to understand everything again. People talk and I know what they're saying. Also whereas in Morocco the diversity seemed to consist of light skinned Arabs, dark skinned Berbers, and random tourists, here there is a much wider variety than I remember. The people watching is fabulous and the fashion is fascinating.

There is so much going on. Dr. Bea is hard at work on an article on Parkinson's Disease this week, so last night I took a solo stroll to La Plaza del Sol then looped back around by La Plaza de España. There was some kind of red carpet movie event and everyone was dressed to the nines. The press was there snapping pictures. The style here is elegant. I couldn't help stopping in a few stores just to take a peek.

Madrid is gearing up for fall which looks like lots of flowy sheer flower print fabrics in pumpkin, saffron, and rust colors with bronze belts and over-sized loose knit sweaters. I can see the infusion of neutral colors, browns, beiges, tans, with red accent pieces replacing the whites, turquoises, tangerines, and fuchsias of summer. Which of course means all the hot and colorful clothing that I adore is on sale. WHY GOD? Why put me in this city on a budget, especially when they've finally caught on to the fact that size 2 girls aren't the only ones who want to rock the hotness. Whereas 10 years ago, I got laughed out of a shoe store in Cadiz, by a snobby bitch who told me that size 41 shoes (10 in the US) didn't exist, now it seems everything is in my size. I'm going to make up a cardboard sign: Will teach English for Clothes. For the most part I'm being good, but I did have to buy these hot red sandal...for 7 euros who could resist?

No comments: