Friday, September 17, 2010

Back in Madrid

For most of my down south time, my camera was unfortunately out of action, but I promise to post some fabulous beach pictures when Bea gets back from Geneva. It's a gray September day in Madrid and I'm enjoying some peach juice and solitude. Those few days in Andalucia were fantastic, but there is something so soothing about being back here again. It feels more like the real world. I'm out of books in English so I'm reading El Libro de Los Abrazos by Eduardo Galeano a lovely book of short stories. This one is called La uva y el vino (the grape and the wine):

Un hombre de las vinas hablo, en agonia, al oido de Marcela. Antes de morir, le revelo su secreto: -La uva - le susurro - esta hecha de vino. Marcela Perez Silva me lo conto, y yo pense: Si la uva esta hecha de vino, quiza nosotros somos las palabras que cuenten lo que somos.

A man of the vinyards spoke in agony into the ear of Marcela. Before he died, he revealed his secret: The grape - he whispered - is made of wine. Marcela Perez Silva told me and I thought: If the grape is made of wine, then perhaps we are made of the words that tell us who we are.

How beautiful and perfect a sentiment when right now especially I feel like this trip has left me full of juicy words. Today I am actually working. Yesterday I edited another 50 pages and today I made my list of favorite YA books with strong female leads or unconventional lead characters and I am googling every author to find their agents and start the query letter process. Wish me luck.

No comments: