Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thee Satisfaction at the Fun House



I first met Cat (Satisfaction) and (Thee) Staci, dynamic hip-hop duo from outerspace better known as Thee Satisfaction, on January 3, 2009 at the Hidmo where they performed for Mz. Blu's b-day party / Communities Against Rape and Abuse fundraiser party. Their energy was insane, their lyrics were hilarious and unique, all set to the background of pirated tracks including Michael Jackson's Thriller. They rapped about bi-sexuality, having a sexy girlfriend, being from outer space, and all sorts of not-your-usual topics. It was kind of lost in space remix of songs you thought you'd heard, but different. Very different. Since then I've been stalking them around Seattle, so when I heard they would be at the Fun House, even though it was a school night and seriously past my bedtime, I decided to go check them out.

The Fun House is located on 5th and John in the shadow of the Space Needle. On the outside it's a non-descript boxy building whose only distinguishing feature is the seriously creepy clown face above the entrance. Did I mention I hate / have a slight fobia of clowns? Inside, the creepy clown motif continues. There are clown puppets and skull figurine liberally distributed throughout the venue, along with gray and black cobwebs. Above the bar is a disembodied pair of legs clad in black spiderweb fishnets, high heels with a kissy lip print on the soles, and panties that read "all you can eat". True to the name, there is a funness to it. There are retro pinball machines, a pool table and even an outdoor basketball hoop located in the back. The wine red walls are lined with black pleather booths and blue 50s style formica tables. The L shaped bar has swivel seats, and every window and pillar is covered in bumper stickers.

I was early, so I sat on my swivel stool, in the rosy glow of Christmas lights, and sipped my cuba libre. Cat and Staci came by to chat. They both looked pumped to be there. Staci was clad in big dark glasses, a denim vest over an orange t-shirt and skin tight black jeans...total nod to the 80s. While Cat was equally punked out in skinny jeans and flannel, her red tinged fabulous afro ever gigantic, the diamond stud above her lip glinting.

When I asked how did you get into hip-hop, Staci replied "Basically out of necessity." Staci cites her trip to South Africa as inspirational. She says the hip hop scene over there is not to be believed. About a year and a half ago, the couple decided they were tired of all the samey crap they heard on the radio. It was time for them to make their mark. Cat talked about their first big show, which was in June of last year at the Langston Hughes Performing Arts Center. "We 're still babies," she said, referencing all the things they've had to learn about sound and performing. And it's true, there is a rawness to their style that comes from being new, but that's part of the greatness of it. Since then, Thee Satisfaction has performed all over Seattle,Learning and improving as they go, including their most recent performance during the Gay Pride festivities of last week. For more on that check out The Stranger.

By the time I finished my first drink, the warm-up act was on. I had never seen Tiffany Sedinsky before. They are a band of two, the guy in flannel on electric guitar, the girl in all black playing the keyboard. I can only describe the sound as punk meets indie waltze with a Napolean Dynomite like drum machine in the background....lots of chords, topped with Tiffany's soft hazy croon. Interesting, not what I would have expected, but not bad either. It was good music to people watch by, and the crowd was an eclectic multi-age mix of punk and hip-hop with a few 50s greasers and some seriously tattooed possible roller derby babes...also not exactly what I would expect, but that's perhaps what is so cool about Thee Satisfaction. They are so different, so outside the box, that they cross genres and draw fans from all different walks of life.

Tiffany Sedinsky was followed by DJ Darwin. I am a bit of a snob about my music and what I will and will not dance to, but DJ Darwin totally got me on my feet. Not since DJ Whatever and DJ Self Administered Beat Down, have I heard someone make random really work. He started with some pop songs from different eras, some 80s music, some 50s music, then mixed it with some hard house beats and made them work. Side note: I am currently going through this stage of hating the 80s with the fire of 1000 suns. I don't know why I keep getting invited to these damn 80s night fiascos where everyone is wearing side pony tails and jelly shoes and listening to music I didn't even like the first time around. It's over people! Move on. So I was shocked to find myself breaking a sweat to the 80s and actually enjoying it. It didn't feel like 80s, it was like the music had finally evolved into something worth listening to, something worth grooving to...thanks for that Darwin!

And finally, after I'd actually gotten sweaty, Thee Satisfaction took the stage. And when I say took, I mean like that literally. They were high octane energy, dancing and playing off one another. I'm not sure how long they've been together, but they have that fluidity of a couple who knows one another well. The sound was a little off, but that surprisingly did not detract from the presentation, but rather gave the music that tinge of campy other worldliness they are known for. They were goofy. They played with the crowd, coming off the stage, inciting dancing. The new stuff was cool and I'm totally looking forward to the new CD "Snow Motion" to be dropped sometime later this month, but my all time favorite Thee Satisfaction jams are "Sexy Girlfriend" and "Permission to Bash". If you haven't heard them, you should. These ladies are totally futuristic and I'm stoked to see what they come up with next.

To find out more about them check out their blog at http://www.theesatisfaction.blogspot.com/

No comments: