Friday, July 24, 2009

The Happy Hours of Summer...

After the misery of a ridiculously cold and long winter filled with working and hibernating and trying to stay warm, this summer has been well worth the wait. Not only has the weather been exceptionally gorgeous, but there is this indescribable sense of fun and adventure inherent in each day. The economy in WA sucks.Coco is just one of the most recent people I know to get laid off, but surprisingly she is not terribly upset. Not only does this provide her with the opportunity to really think about what she wants to be doing, but she is allowing herself to take a short vacation. I mean having worked continuously since she was 15, I think the girl is do a little funemployment. And so with the beginning of my fabulous vacation from school, I have had lots of people to hang out with. And we have been hitting the happy hours like nobody's business.My first vacation stop was Portland. Coco and I drove down for a visit with my Dad which mostly turned into more happy hour and hanging out at the pool.

What's great about Happy Hours with Coco, in addition to the free drinks she seems to inspire (just by being hot and a little snobby), is the randomness. On Tuesday we drank our way through West Seattle and totally ran into some crazy people. Yes, Shaheen you are making my wall of shame. In fact we have decided to start a separate blog about our Happy Hour adventures...using our favorite bar aliases Ginger and Alex (short for Alejandra De La Vega...my alter ego).http://hhwithalexandginger.blogspot.com/ On Wednesday I swore never to happy hour with Coco again, but that was short lived. After pedicures and a lovely complimentary lunch at Cedars, we hit up Wann in Belltown for free sake and sashimi. Afterwards I headed to capital hill to get a massage, then I was on my way home when I stumbled across free salsa at Babalus.

For the record Babalus is home of the WORST mojito I have ever had in my life. Followed by the worst rum and coke...and the most expensive glass of Riesling. The last time I was there-maybe a year ago- one of my friends was denied entry for not being "appropriately" dressed. This is Seattle right? The place where even at formal dinners, somebody has on fleece and REI hiking boots. I think jeans and a sweater is actually pretty decent...all things considered. This rudeness, coupled with the cramped space, and bad / expensive drinks meant was more than enough to deter me from ever wanting to go back. Plus, the fengshei is horrible, but lighting is peachy and inviting and Cambalache was playing and it was free. So I just stepped in for a moment and then ran into friends and the next thing I know I was on my way to Casa de Mojito for more drinks and salsa.

Yes, everyday is a magical mystery tour. There is taekwondo and meditation, my only constants, then bike rides, or walks to Greenlake or dancing and happy hours or hula hooping. Yesterday I went to the huge REI downtown for the first time. I felt like I was stepping into a whole other world of things that have nothing at all to do with me. There were kayaks, and stupidly expensive shoes, a whole wardrobe of backpacks, and harnesses and god knows what. It was very overwhelming, but interesting. And then somehow I ended up at the Seamonster bar listening to some very loud acid jazz and sipping on a watery mojito with my girl the Lioness (Leo for short). When it got too loud we walked down 45th to check out Selena's but I was once again sidetracked by the music coming from Babalus. Clearly this is one of those places I love to hate. As we passed by there was an 80s song on...which is the theme music to a whole generation I have come to loath and despise. I wouldn't have even considered going in, except when we looked in the window Babalus was filled with young, good looking black people that I hadn't met yet. Leo was game so we checked it out.

That's right, I accidentally stumbled upon the answer to that ever pressing mystery "where are all the black people in Seattle?"...at Babalus on Thursday night for 30 and up Grown, Black, and Sexy. I shit you not. That's the name of the night and the theme of the movement being staged by a woman named Thai and these two guys whose names I don't remember. And the 80s music...turned out to be good 80s music mixed in with some more contemporary jams. Ladies were dressed to the nines (I was so NOT prepared!), there were some very good lookin' brothas...also dressed like they couldn't possible be from Seattle. People were steppin' and singing and there was good dancing happening and joking. Everyone was friendly and the crowd was 95% black professional people IN my dating age range. What?!? I love this summer. It's the best summer ever. Headed to take a nap before the bonfire this evening.

No comments: