Tuesday, October 5, 2010

New York State of Mind







Traffic, skyscrapers, parks, and city kids abundant. Oh, and I am loving the diversity. When you first arrive in customs there is this video they play on a loop over several TVs that explains how the process works. But first there is this welcome montage of scenes from around the country with people from all different backgrounds extending a welcome to the USA. It's actually very cool because you also see scenes from all 50 states. Though at the time I thought it was also a little misleading because it makes it look like white people aren't the majority of the population. Now after spending a few days in New York, it makes sense to me a little more...because here in this city there is such a great mix of cultures. Walking through Harlem it seems like no two people have the same skin tone, the same hairstyle. No one is speaking the same language. It's beautiful. Here I am anonymous...not a black girl, or an American, just another person.

So what am I doing here? Everyone keeps asking me. Mostly I am just chilling, recovering from jet lag...went to movies, caught Eric Bennet in concert (damn he's fine), shared some meals with friends, and bought some over the knee hot black boots that I'm learning to walk in. I am processing the trip so far, but also I catch myself reminiscing about being 18 and going off to school, finally making the great escape from WI or more truly from my former life. Here I am surrounded by the energy of youthful exploration. My two close friends in NYC are both students at Columbia, so I am staying on campus. Definitely don't miss dorm life, but do kind of enjoy eavesdropping on people's conversations. It's like reality TV. Bearing witness to this American right of passage...grow up, turn 18, go off to school and find yourself. What no one ever tells you is that figuring out who you are is an ongoing process. When you're younger it's great because you can go somewhere where everyone is doing the same thing, but when you get older and need to do it all again, there is no specified way for how...so I am inventing my own way and finding myself through this journey. It's a blessing.

No comments: