Wednesday, June 23, 2010

World Cup Fever

The only time I wish I owned a T.V. happens once every 4 years. I like the Olympics, and I'll watch a few events, but I LOVE the world cup. Though I haven't played on a team for several years after about 12 years of being a goal keeper, I haven't lost my love of the game. There is something still pure about it...the athleticism, the drama, what's not to love.

My heart is still pounding from the US vs. Algeria game. I can't believe we're actually advancing.We played well, even though they robbed of us of a goal (the instant replay shows we were NOT off sides!). The Algerian keeper was amazing (and gorgeous), but their defense just wasn't there. I think this is the only time this week I've voluntarily gotten up earlier than 7am, but it was well worth it. All the games are being shown in the local pubs no matter what time they start. I remember not being able to watch the games when I was younger because we didn't have cable, now they're on everywhere.

The first world cup I remember really watching was when I was 16 and in love with Italy. My mom and I were traveling in Senegal and every time we went to a bar or restaurant with the game on, I was busy trying to figure out if my team was going to move on, much to the amusement of the Senegalese people who really did not understand why a 16 year old American girl would care. Then there was the world cup in Japan/Korea. I was living there at the time and even playing on a team again for the first time in ages. I did everything I could to get tickets, short of spending the night out on the street, but due to a glitch in the electronic system, I (like many others) couldn't get tickets. I had to settle for pub watching, but it was still amazing. It's the energy, the elation, the devastation, the intensity of watching your team work through the matches. Like the Olympics, people from all over the world put their collective attention on the games and though we're hardcore about supporting our teams, there is still a camaraderie about simply being there and watching, no matter who you're cheering for. I can't quite explain it. It's like for this brief window of time we're all on the same page, we're all wondering what's going to happen next.

No comments: