Wednesday, February 11, 2009

6 month warning...

Today is my half birthday, which means I have 6 months before I turn 30. The closer I get, the more it seems like just a number. The truth is, I still don't really feel like a grown up...however that is supposed to feel. I think about me as a little kid and how I had everything all figured out. I was going to go to Spelman as an undergrad and maybe do my PhD somewhere ivy league.I thought I'd be married and have kids by now...and a PhD, a car, a house, several published novels and a job as a writer or a senator. So here I am 29 and a half and wondering how much I can cram in before 30. Here is my revised list of things I want to do before then...
1) meet Barack Obama
2) go to Cuba
3) go to Ghana
4) return to Spain
5) visit the Grand Canyon
6) finish illustrating my book
7) finish the novel I started 4 years ago and get it published
8) paint a self portrait that actually looks like me...not just kind of like me
9) fall in love with someone really worth it
10) really learn how to change a tire (I know how to theoretically, but in real life?)
11) learn how to fly on a trapeze
12) take a class on how to make stained glass
13) sell a painting for more than one month's rent
14) see the gardens in Victoria (and take the clipper)
15) become independently wealthy
16) go sky diving
17) return to yoga and soccer
18) finally learn some good swear words in Japanese (no one would teach me any)
19) get my black belt in tae kon do (my test is in June!)
20) figure out what I'm supposed to do with my life...

No comments: