Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A new year= A new theme

I'm kind of a sucker for resolutions. To me, birthdays and new years always bring with them a sense of well being, because in them there is a natural new beginning. Even though today is just like yesterday, the calendar says it's special. It's like getting a fortune cookie that says today is your free pass...forget your mistakes and start over. Perhaps that's why I have been frustrated. My new year went well enough, but I was too hung over to properly do any goal setting and by the time I recovered, I had slipped into a lethargic reflection time, no good for doing anything but wondering once more what they hell I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

Then the inauguration happened and I felt a sudden reprieve, because even though new year's day had come and gone, it was still a new day for my country. Like many others, I felt energized and inspired to go for something bigger...so that is what my theme is for the year...continued personal growth and the expansion of my opportunities.

This is no dress rehearsal, this is my life and I want to live it joyfully, always trying new things, and unafraid of failure. I want to belly dance and swing from a trapeze. I want to lose 30lbs before I test for my black belt. I want to be a better teacher, make more money and go abroad for my 30th b-day. I want to see something amazing and breathtaking like the grand canyon or the Taj Majal. I want to meet someone worth dating long term (and actually date him long term).This year I want to accomplish big things like finally finishing my novel and illustrating my children's book. I want to show my paintings in different venues. These are my goals, but my intention is simple. This year I intend to live in the light...to be my best self.

No comments: