Thursday, September 18, 2008

A real artist?

I spent a great deal of the spring and the beginning of summer joyfully immersed in painting and writing. I wrote poems and pulled out unfinished projects and started a series of paintings that read like a journal of my time in Seattle. They are happy explosions of texture, color, gloss and glitter. And it was wonderful to spend my time creating, but then I stopped. It didn't happen on purpose, but after spending a season on the mike slamming and the completion of my first art show, I was kind of done being public with my art. Moreover I was traveling locally and chillaxing of my very awesome staycation.

Now, in September, almost two months into my new job, I am working on balance. I am making time for yoga and taekwondo, classes at the Center for Spiritual living, and of course work, but it has been hard to find a spare moment between catching up with friends and sleeping enough to get through my days. Just now I am coming back into balance again and while I still haven't figured out my writing schedule, I have started painting.

I'm currently working on a series for Dia de los Muertos...ironicly inspired by my teaching (I am obsessed with how to make sugar skulls).Though my first show was amazing...for me anyway... I was a little bummed about not selling anything. I wondered if I could still be considered a "real artist", which I pretty much decided I could because there are plenty of "real artists" that never sell anything. But then, last week, very randomly, I sold my first two painting, The Old Man Fish which is a long orange and yellow coy on a teal background with a face like an old man and Strange Fruits a fanciful self portrait of me as a butterfly stretching forth from a golden cocoon hung from a tree (named after song, to for once give the name a positive connotation).

But going back to being an artist, this is all still really new for me. I have so many new titles now. More than just my job transition, I feel like my whole life is transitioning. I feel like I am at choice, which means that my life if beginning to really reflect what I really want as opposed to that feeling of obligation or irritation at all the things I think I have to do. I am choosing to teach, to write, to paint, and to live inside the joy of these choices and it feels awesome. Below are some of the photos from my first show.




No comments: