Saturday, July 5, 2008

My Art Show


For the next two weeks I won't be blogging much because my computer is in the shop, but this morning I am in Port Townsend with Stewy and family....so here is my 15 minutes before we have to head back to Seattle.

Lojo, one of my best friends since the 6th grade is visiting for the week, and Coco is in Napa, so Wednesday morning I woke up early. Mz. Blu, not trusting me to hang my own paintings straight, accompanied me to Alliance Chiropractic for technical support. And then it was all happening. My art was up accompanied by the professional looking foam tags, courtesy of Perren my favorite french artist and husband to Kerry, my favorite union organizer, ex-roomate, and good friend. It looked so cool, but I didn't have lots of time to chill because I had to drive Coco to the airport and pick up Lojo. Afterwards Lojo and I ran some more errands and took a nap. Then we got all dolled up and headed back for the show.

It was so strange walking into my chiropractor and seeing my art on the walls. Thus far my art has lived solely at my space, so it kind of felt like coming home. Except I felt nervous. When I'm at home and people come by and make comments about my art, it's not that big of a deal, but putting it out there in the public is a whole different feeling.

My Taekwondo Dojang's photographer was the first to show up. He took some great shots, which I will post when I can. Dr. V put out some nice wine and cheese and then Lojo and I sat down to wait for people. It was a strange thing, waiting for people and then when they began to come I knew them all...but I guess that makes sense. This whole thing turned into a community show. Uncle Megabooty, girlfriend to one of my best friends provided some great soul tunes, Perran had done my tags, Kerry had helped me with pricing, and Mz. Blu had rigged wires on the back of every painting in addition to buying a level to make sure the paintings were hung correctly. I couldn't have done it without them. So I sat surrounded by my community, snacking and joking and waiting for outside people. It got rainy so foot traffic was light, but a few strangers did come. No one has bought anything yet, but I did get a lot of positive feedback. More importantly I tried something new. It's been a year of firsts. And this was a great one.

1 comment:

Mind Training said...

You look beautiful! Sorry I couldn't be there