Thursday, September 20, 2012

Advanced Citizenship

Advanced Citizenship
 
Sometimes I think
I didn’t sign up for this
I didn’t choose to be born
Of this place
Of this time
Of this family from this country
In this world that seems
       so vast and confusing
              And so limited and infinitely finite
But here I am
And who I am
Albeit reluctantly
Is a citizen of a world,
This world.
Where borders, colors, and languages
tell us who we are supposed to be
Where one mans freedom flag, is another’s flag of tyranny
Where my own liberty is contingent upon the way others choose to see me
As 3/5 human, as property, slave, whore or president
Its an interconnectedness I sometimes resent
That who I am must be placed in this subjective context
For others to qualify and quantify
The validity of my existence
But don’t I do the same?
Isn’t it just a part of the human condition?
To seek, to find, to claim my tribe?
To draw the circle around myself?
As much to keep me in as to keep you out?
But if I am truly a citizen of something beyond my country, then what would be my flag?
What would be my anthem?
Would my tribe be a reflection of the united nations?
Would I finally be able to embrace them?
Those strangers who would be my family
Those enemies who would stand with love for me?
I am not sure if I am ready for such advanced citizenship.

No comments: