Monday, January 31, 2011

2011: A New Year

This weekend I went to Vashon Island with 41 kids I'll be taking to Guatemala in April. During our retreat, we did some service work around Camp Sealth. Yesterday was the first time I've ever chopped fire wood. Having grown up in an apartment without a fireplace, I guess I had never really needed to know how, but there I was, axe in hand, trying not to look goofy in front of the kids. Our guide, demonstrated the appropriate technique, explained the physics, and showed us how to be safe. Then we just kind of had to figure it out. The first time I struck the wood, nothing happened. The second time I knocked it off the platform. This continued for a while, me futilely trying to split a chord, and the wood clearly not cooperating. It was getting embarrassing. I asked for tips and help, but in the end, I just had to keep working at it and finally after about the 30th stroke the wood cracked and then I hit it twice more and it split completely.

That's how I feel beginning 2011. Like I spent most of last year trying to figure things out, and wrestling with wanting my life to be different and then suddenly as the new year began, all that futile banging stopped and whatever barriers or mental blocks I've had, have split right open.

I left Des Moines on December 30th. My grandma is doing much better now. When I arrived in Portland Coco and Mz Blu came to ring in the New Year with me. It was great to see them and to be back with my Dad, but I could feel all this anxiety, because my trip had come to an end and I needed to get a job and have some answers about my life that I still hadn't come up with. But I decided to take a week to just veg out...to have happy hour and watch bad TV and just be with my friends and family before starting all over again. 4 days into my week, I got a call from the Director of a small non-profit in Seattle. I had applied for a position there more than a month ago and received an email stating that the process was closed. Apparently it wasn't and he wanted to interview me.

I got that call on Monday, interviewed by SKYPE on Tuesday, was on a train to Seattle on Wednesday and interviewed twice more on Thursday and Friday. By Friday afternoon I had a new address and a new job. The thing is, it's not just any job, it's the job I've been wanting since before I went to grad school. I am now the Program Manager for a small non-profit that empowers high school kids to become global leaders through social justice and environmental sustainability trainings and service learning projects in Seattle and abroad. These kids come from all over the city...different schools...and are a truly diverse mix. I am finally working in International Education...finally utilizing my degree and experience...and finally getting the chance to take kids of color and kids who are economically disadvantaged on trips abroad. This weekend was my first chance to meet my group and they are truly and amazing, inspiring group of committed young leaders. I feel honored to know them and to have this opportunity to really live my own personal vision. It is so good to be home and back in my Seattle community, and special to feel like I have finally created a place for myself that I can really invest in.

Now, for my next trick...figuring out my love life. Stay tuned.

No comments: