Thursday, December 10, 2009

The multiplicity of me © rejj original

The multiplicity of me
I am more
than the sum of my identities,
more than my gender,
class, or ethnicity
more than my height,
age, weight, my nationality.
I am more
than my political affiliations,
more than my religion,
my salary, the title of my occupation,
more than the degrees or even experiences that constitute my education,
I am more
than my sexual orientation,
more than fits into the boundaries of your expectations.
I am more
than can be detailed by the check boxes on your census
What I am is divinity and humanity come to consensus
an agreement of time and space
and flesh and blood
of history, present, and future
from below and above
I am both a product of the journey
and the journey's end
I am what many have lost their lives to win
I am the freedom so long denied
the shooting star, a phoenix setting fire to night sky,
I am with you and yet so far removed
And amidst all my contradictions
everything I am is true
I am more than the cross sections of identity
more than a bi-product of this culture, this society,
And I would attempt to explain my multiplicity,
but all you really need to know
is that I'm me.

No comments: