Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Staff Appreciation Week


Last week was staff appreciation week at my school. It began on Monday during our weekly all school assembly. Each of us received a small vase of gerber daisies followed by a resounding thank you and a standing ovation from our students and their parents. What a way to start the week! This was followed by the gift of fresh fruit and muffins found in our make shift staff lounge on Tuesday. Then the Parent Association provided us with a lovely lunch during which parent volunteers took care of our recess duty, so that no staff member had to miss out. Then Thursday we all found ribbon tied bags of tropical jelly bellies in our mail boxes. Also throughout the week the children have been writing thank you notes to their teachers and posting them on the large cloth cherry blossom tree hanging in the hallway.

Then on Friday I was invited to the fourth grade to be properly appreciated. The children came and found me and brought me to their room where they greeted me with applause and handed me a large shopping bag. Inside it was a lamp which they had customized with drawings to remind me of them AND and $80 gift certificate to one of my favorite bookstores! I love private school. If that wasn't enough, the went around the room and each told me one or two things that they appreciated about me. I have never felt so loved at a job before. So here is my top ten list of what I appreciate about my school:

I am grateful for...
1)the kids!
2)my awesome coworkers
3)money for professional development
4)medical and dental insurance
5)good job security
6)freedom to design my own curriculum
7)lots of mentors to help me figure out my career
8)a flexible schedule
9) a good work / home life balance
10)feeling valued in my job.

Thanks Universe!

No comments: